Four days out is a total mind game – somehow we still justified some restful time today; me moreso than Jack (I’m reading a really good book right now, okay?!)
If you have just jumped on board this journey with no context, Jack and I chose to follow the ‘100 day’ thing and build a cafe in 100 days after planning our wedding in 100 days early last year – as a part of our wedding, we tried to do things a little differently which honestly, was a bit of an excuse to buy stuff we wouldn’t otherwise be able to justify! One of those unjustifiable purchases was a custom neon sign.
Jack is particularly savvy at finding manufacturers in China and dealing with them directly to get a good price, supernatural delivery time (we’re talking like 5 days, people – how?!) and exactly what we want … we’ve all heard the expectation/reality horror stories of buying from China, right?!
So as a bit of an ode to our first neon and a welcomed excuse to make another frivolous purchase – we decided a while ago that we wanted one featured somewhere in the cafe – but after that decision there was a couple of refining points that had to be made:
- Does it look good on Instagram?!
- Urgh yes, I know how much vanity just oozed out of that dot point – but if social media is our only marketing channel; we’re going to make decisions that are smart for that – so having a neon that doesn’t show up in photos is a no-no – this can happen due to colour contrast, weird coloured backing that will reflect the light back or even just being a weird size that wouldn’t fit in a phone frame.
- What the heck will it say?!
- We wanted it generic enough to not become ‘uncool’ in like a week (which rules out any memes!) but specific enough that people know where they are.
- It would definitely make sense for us to have ‘Wildflower’ but for people to want to take photos of that means they have to feel attachment to the name, and only a tiny fraction of our customers actually would. Think about how many people repost inspirational quotes etc. vs reposting the name of a brand they love … that’s the effect we are channeling here!
- We didn’t want it to be girly or cheesy or cryptic – we do the ‘tradie’ test for this (which we’ve used a lot throughout the cafe building process) which means if something could be acceptable by the standards of a really brute tradie – then it’s good to go!
- Since our Wildflower colours are pretty much black, white and pink and well, you can’t have black for a neon (cosmic bowling, anyone?!) and we used pink for our wedding – we chose that good ol’ classic white! oooh so crispy!
So here it is! Well, kinda. We haven’t hung it yet ’cause we haven’t finished the wall – and I promise it won’t say “UR WILD FIND YO” when we hang it – but it comes in two parts so we’ll put it together, wire it in and taaaada a little wild neon .. so exciting!
I’ll admit, I wrote this whole blog and then realised we hadn’t actually taken a photo of it out of the box – so I apologise that maybe it’s a bit underwhelming after the hype I’ve just created, but now you have a heads up .. and it’s gonna be awesome, promise!